Would you like to help create new futures for young people?
Join Brisbane Youth Service today to make a difference in the lives of Brisbane’s vulnerable young people and their families.
We value our people and the contribution they make to the community and the lives of the young people we support. That’s why we have invested in our Employee Value Proposition, to make our employees’ experience a memorable one.
- Research Assistant
- Casual position
- Project based
Are you a dynamic individual with outstanding research skills with a willingness to contribute to an organisation supporting young people and their families?
In this position you will undertake qualitative interviewing with young people to contribute to organisational research projects related to the experiences of young people who are, or have been, couch surfing as a form of homelessness. Interviewers will be involved in recruiting participants, conducting semi-structured interviews, recording and transcribing interview data, and contributing to thematic analysis of data collected.
To undertake this role, you will require a tertiary qualification in Social Work, Psychology or Social Sciences. Have a current Queensland driver’s license and hold a current Working with Children Positive Notice (Blue Card) or a willingness to obtain one.
To be successful in your application you will need to provide written responses to the following selection criteria:
- At least 2 years of experience working therapeutically with vulnerable young people (eg counselling, case management, youth work etc)
- Lived experience and/or demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to complex issues related to youth homelessness, substance use, mental health issues, family and relationship violence, self-harm, sexual assault etc
- Demonstrated capacity to safely support young people to share their stories of experiences of trauma, vulnerability and disadvantage.
- Demonstrated capacity to maintain rigorous confidentiality, professional and ethical practice boundaries.
- Demonstrated capacity to maintain an excellent standard of accurate and timely record keeping.
- Very high standard of written and verbal communication skills and capacity to work autonomously and responsibly to recruit participants, conduct interviews and collate qualitative data to a consistently high standard
- Demonstrated capacity to engage in qualitative research methods including semi-structured interviewing and qualitative data analysis.
- Demonstrated capacity for high level academic research activities.
How to Apply
Applicants must use the BYS Employment package that can be viewed and downloaded here:BYS Application Package_Research Interviewer_2019 05
Email complete applications to Rhianon Vichta-Ohlsen – email@example.com
Please include copies of all relevant qualifications with your application.
Applications for this position close 5:00pm 26 May 2019.